JOB TITLE: Embryologist
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Director
POSITION SUMMARY: This is a position for an embryologist with clinical experience in Human Assisted Reproduction techniques to perform embryology laboratory services in accordance with the Laboratory Philosophy and Performance Standards.
SCOPE: This is a nonexempt position reporting to the Laboratory Supervisor, Laboratory Manager and Laboratory Director. A Level 3 Laboratory Technologist (Embryologist) works under indirect supervision in performing assigned duties and responsibilities according to the specifications outlined in the Embryology Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures Manual.
PRINICPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Study and review Embryology and Andrology Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures Manual and become familiar with quality assurance, quality control, safety procedures, and operating guidelines for performing laboratory services.
- Study and review OSHA requirements.
- Participate in laboratory operations and laboratory services including the following:
- Portioning Media and Culture Dish Preparation
- Sperm Preparation, Semen Analysis and Cryopreservation
- Oocyte Retrieval
- IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) Insemination
- Fertilization Check
- Embryo Grading
- Embryo Transfer
- Embryo Vitrification and warming
- Oocyte Vitrification and warming
- Embryo Discard
- Preparing IVF instrument and glassware preparation.
- Recording and reporting laboratory results.
- Equipment maintenance.
- Assisted Hatching with acid
- Assisted Hatching with Laser
- ICSI (Intra-cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) Insemination
- Patient interaction
- Teaching/training of visiting students/ new personnel
- Perform Research
- Act as the lead embryologist on weekend rotations
- Work to develop a proficiency in the following:
- Embryo Biopsy
- Blastomere submission for PCR/CGH
- Blastomere/Nuclear Fixation
- Participate in laboratory proficiency testing programs.
- Work cooperatively with a multidisciplinary team to provide good patient care, while meeting the objectives and goals of the practice.
- Attend practice and department meetings as requested.
- Work weekends and holidays as scheduled, inclusive of beeper/on-call responsibilities.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks.
- Become proficient with the IS technology/software used to support the clinical and laboratory processes and procedures.
CONFIDENTIAL AND SENSITIVE INFORMATION:
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping all patient information confidential.
SCOPE OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
- Complete appropriate paperwork for patient billing.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND PERFORMANCE FACTOR REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have appropriate college degree and graduated with a “B” average or greater in a relevant laboratory science.
- Minimum 4 year experience in Assisted Reproductive Technologies with proven experience in micromanipulation.
- Proven ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- Knowledge of office procedures and office machines (i.e. computer, fax, copier, etc.).
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work in a high standard, stressful environment.
- Ability to communicate accurately and concisely.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.